Date: March 24 to 28
Location: Anglesey, Wales
Description: This five day program is designed for sea kayakers wanting to develop their skills and awareness in more challenging conditions, as well as for those who wish to become qualified leaders in this environment. We will cover the essential leadership, personal paddling, navigation and safety skills necessary to enable participants to fully prepare for their BCU 4 Star or 5 Star Sea Assessment.
Through on-water and classroom based activities, the program will explore the principles of planning / anticipation; communication / group management; route choice and positioning. We will be using local venues to Anglesey including tide races and offshore islands, although some travelling maybe necessary to make use of the weather and sea conditions. Completion of the program will lead to a personalised action plan in preparation for any future assessments or personal paddling goals.
The following areas will be covered:
Personal Paddling Skills
• Launching and landing
• Efficient forward paddling
• Effective manoeuvring and boat control
• Navigation on the water and in poor visibility
• A range of self-rescues
• Rolling in rough water
• Application of appropriate rescue skills
• Different towing methods
Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
• Application of leadership principles
• Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
• Safety awareness and risk management
• Group control and management tactics
• Paddler welfare and community building
• Incident management
• Safety (including coastguard and rescue services)
• Hypothermia / First aid
• Group awareness and management
• General (and historical)
• Leadership responsibilities
• Water features / hazards
Prerequisites: BCU 4 Star standard.
BCU Information: For syllabus details, visit the BCU website.
Contact: For more information, course fees or to register, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.